in search for life

how did God create me to live? that's what i'm searching for... hopefully we can help each other out, in our search for purpose, for fulfillment, for freedom, for true life.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

jealous

i caught a cold on monday night, so all day tuesday i was sneezing and producing my own version of "wontons" (ingredients: kleenex + runny nose stuff). this week was not so busy at work - but i knew next week (when this whole trucker strike thing gets resolved), things will be hectic. so i decided to get some extra rest and come to work late on wednesday.

it felt good to get 10 hours of sleep (i needed it too). i woke up at 10am and didn't need to leave for work for another hour. so for the first time in a month, i had a chance to have an undisturbed, unrushed quiet time with the Lord. i've missed doing this in the busyness of my holiday to hk/china and my many summer plans. i'm glad i finally had a chance for a quality quiet time.

so i went to work on wednesday. now there's this weird work culture at my company. whenever someone comes to work, but is sick, they will wear a "sars" mask to reduce the likelihood of getting other co-workers sick. now i originally thought this was a stupid idea. so the last few times i've been sick at work, i didn't wear one of these silly masks - and i got other people sick (i felt bad - but it was their own fault for coming too close to me).

anyways - when i went to work this wednesday, i did end up wearing one of these sars masks - partly from an unspoken pressure i felt around me, and partly because i genuinely didn't want to get my co-workers sick. but i felt stupid wearing that thing.

so thursday morning, after another 10 hours of good sleep, i don't feel any better. in fact, a bit worse. so i decided to take the day off. and so i had the luxury to have another quality devotion time. now what's interesting is that both yesterday & today's devotions were about God's Word - the life and nourishment it brings. it's very timely, considering i haven't had much spiritual food for the past month.

then the thought came into my head - did God allow me to become sick so i would spend time with Him? no, that sounds so petty, like something a jealous person would do...

God wouldn't do something like that?
would He?

jeal-ous
adj.
Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position.

"Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
~Exodus 34:14~

"let me know You'd fight thousands for my love"
-bethany dillon, from "for my love"-

7 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger lynnie said…

    get well soon tim.

    P.s. if you want to get more sick visit my blog. I've come up with something just for you! :D

    take care bro,
    Lynn

    P.s. I wish God would become Jealous about losing me! :( Lucky you!

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    another quality post...tim, there are many days where I want to be just like you...seriously.

    feel better. prayers from winnipeg coming your waaaay. woot woot.

    daw.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eeew wontons. sorry we can't take care of you. soon soon.

    i love that bethany dillon song.

    cool that God is teaching you. solid food all the way...

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jars Of Clay
    ยป
    Jealous Kind

    "I built another temple to a stranger
    I gave away my heart to the rushing wind
    I set my course to run right into danger
    Sought the company of fools instead of friends

    You know I've been unfaithful
    Lovers in lines
    While you're turning over tables with the rage of a jealous kind
    I chose the gallows to the aisle
    Thought that love would never find
    Hanging ropes will never keep you
    And your love of a jealous kind
    Love of a jealous kind

    Trying to jump away from rock that keeps on spreading
    For solace in the shift of the sinking sand
    I'd rather feel the pain all too familiar
    Than to be broken by a lover I don't understand
    'Cause I don't understand

    One hundred other lovers, more, one hundred other altars
    If I should slow my pace and finally subject me to grace
    And love that shames the wise, betrays the heart's deceit and lies
    And breaks the back of foolish pride"

    It's amazing how God fights for us even though we are so unworthy.

    Mandy

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    to me, the mask thing was totally an awesome idea :p!!!

    He is a jealous God because He's the one and only. I got criticized from my non-Christian friends of how "selfish" my religion seem to be since I am only allow to believe in ONE God, while denying the rest. But I learned that b/c He's true and authentic...that's why He said He's a jealous God

    jenn :0)
    p.s. well, uncle tim, i guess God will bring Hermaine to you when the time comes

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tim!

    about time you updated.
    i love reading your posts, finding such great applications to God in everyday life. thanks for the constant inspiration.

    keep blogging more!

    -wil

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger carny said…

    blog more, tim! i like reading your insights and what God's teaching you! thanks for that. =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home