obstacle
so my mentor was encouraging me to join this series of workshops: training for community developers (a.k.a. church planters). and although i have no concrete plans for church planting, i thought it would be interesting and useful to go to these workshops. plus the pastor that was teaching the workshops is a really good speaker.
i missed the first session; tonight was the second. so i set out on the 40 minute drive to towers baptist church and arrived there just-in-time ("JIT" or just-in-time is a well-known logistics term). no one was there. i called my mentor, and he told me that i was at the wrong place. in fact, the session was being held about 10 minutes from my apartment.
at that moment i was both discouraged and angry at the same time. discouraged at the fact that if i went, i would arrive late (i was already nervous because i had missed the first session and i didn't know alot of the people going). i was angry at myself because it was such a stupid mistake. what a waste of time, not to mention gas. i pondered whether i should go at all.
then i remembered what a pastor had told me, "you know you're following God's will when you encounter obstacles." the evil one, obviously, will try to throw anything and everything at you to prevent you from following God. now note the difference between an obstacle and a barrier (or closed door). a barrier prevents you from going forward. it is a closed door, and often God uses a barrier to stop you from doing something. an obstacle is a nuisance in your way, it slows you from getting to your destination. but it is something that you can get over or around. satan often puts obstacles in our way, and tries to convince us that the obstacles are in fact barriers from God. be careful. do not let your guard down, do not agree with satan when he lies to you.
once God revealed satan's method of attack, i knew how to defend myself. "no weapon formed against me shall prosper!" that's what it says in God's word. and God's word is my sword. so i spoke aloud God's word and used it to attack satan and defeated the anger and discouragement i felt. this is spiritual warfare - this battle i won.
i had an awesome evening. the workshop was absolutely eye-opening, inspiring, and practical - especially in regards to the small group i'm leading. i've been praying for weeks now that God would give me wisdom in leading the small group. THIS IS THE ANSWER TO MY PRAYER. no wonder satan tried to stop me from going. praise God for His faithfulness!!!
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
~Isaiah 54:17~

14 Comments:
At 12:53 AM,
Anonymous said…
"i walk by faith, each step by faith, to liiive by faith, i put my trust in Yooooou!" now do the actions!!!
At 2:02 AM,
Anonymous said…
Thanks Tim, How encouraging!
I can identify with it:)
Great to know that you're using God's word as the sword against satan's attack!
Karen
At 3:41 PM,
Anonymous said…
that feeling of frustration was oh too familiar when i read your story, but i'm thankful that you fought well.
thanks - it encourages me to bust out mister beebleerr more often.
-fiona-
At 6:53 PM,
Anonymous said…
thank you for the timely reminder. I need to know that satan is always on the prowl, always attacking, always trying to discourage.
praise the Lord for your diligence and His faithfulness.
take care.
dorcas.
At 11:07 PM,
Anonymous said…
ya just in time inventory eh?
tim? get mad? that cant be! glad u persevered ^^b
At 4:36 PM,
Anonymous said…
awesome! - that's super encouraging :)
yah - i can't imagine u getting outwardly angry either.
mandy
At 8:54 PM,
lynnie said…
Timmy I stole the wisdom God gave you and posted it on my page.
I hope you don't mind but if you do let me know. I'll take it off. just like the "something about mary" blog.
lynn
At 12:50 PM,
Anonymous said…
Tim
that's super encouraging man, thanks for the awesome blog. No doubt each and everyone of us face adversity in one for or another. Time for us all to start winning some of these battles. Personally, i sure can apply this to alot of my life situations. thanks tim, inspiring.
call me when you're in HK, we'll do the yum-cha thing.
At 8:32 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Tim,
I don't think i'll be coming back to hong kong this mid-year. I was not accepted to the WYC 2005 in Scotland. so I'll have to think about my expenses of going back.
When (date/period) will you be in hong kong?
Thanks,
Karen
At 1:49 AM,
Anonymous said…
well, may be yes and may be no.
I'll just have to plan,purcahse tickets and you know the whole thing.
Karen
At 11:05 PM,
Anonymous said…
3/4 sister here. now that tiffy is gone, it's time for me to step into the role...feel free to come over for dinner whenever...fi is an excellent cook. haha. I'll do dishes. =) and you can bring the choi and fruit. sweeeet.
seriously though, we're here for you.
I'll be home all day monday and tuesday (I think) after the surgery so if you want to drop by one of those nights...call first. haha. we'll see how chipmunky I am first.
At 10:25 AM,
Anonymous said…
thanks for the awesome words...I had never thought about the difference between a barrier and an obstacle. (if this was like xanga, I'd give you props for this post...) - wendy <><
At 7:33 PM,
song of joy said…
What a lovely, empowering post, Tim. I am very glad you shared those words. May we not be shaken! God bless you. :)
At 1:37 PM,
Anonymous said…
it's update time!
oh, and we should go watch crash! the only famous players its showing @ is station square....
we'll rendezvous
-fiona-
Post a Comment
<< Home