in search for life

how did God create me to live? that's what i'm searching for... hopefully we can help each other out, in our search for purpose, for fulfillment, for freedom, for true life.

Friday, February 18, 2005

build up

i was reading in the Word today - "the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down." (2 Cor 13:10). that jumped out from the page at me, especially the word AUTHORITY. my Lord, the Creator of the universe, the King of kings, has authorized me to build others up and not tear them down. i am given the power, the responsibility, and also the freedom to use my words, my actions, my prayers to build others up.

i was "built up" today, by the words of friends (over good old email). they encouraged me by affirming what they see God doing in my life, how He's using me. those words strengthened me and gave me confidence. that's how i want to use my words - always as a blessing, never as a curse.

the word "authority" reminded me of the great Commission, so i looked at it again. Jesus says he has been given ALL authority on heaven and earth. then, with that authority, he gives us the great commission. in essence, he gives us authority and power to preach the gospel to all nations. we have that freedom, we have that RIGHT, to tell others about the good news. God gave us that authority.

what does that mean? it means "you can't force the gospel on people" and "people don't want to hear" and the other excuses we make up and invalid. God gave us authority to preach the gospel to ALL nations. no one has more authority or power than God. so speak boldly and speak courageously. speak the truth because God has empowered you to do so.

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."
~Eph 6:19-20~

7 Comments:

  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger lynnie said…

    Wait Timmy.

    Does this mean that there's not going to be any more "Funny Tim?" What about inside jokes? Those kinda encourage and build up people right?

    I hope so... 'Cause if you're not funny any more then yeah... hum...

    Anyhow, yeah.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good stuff - Amen!

    Mandy

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Tim I'm encouraged to hear you're learning of the authority given us by the Lord. Start praying this week that the Lord would further give you revelation in the area...mediate on it.
    Ty

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Steph said…

    good point, tim! very encouraged. we DO have the right to proclaim the truth. =)

    steph

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awesome post Tim, convicting yet encouraging.

    in Him,

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Remember a small light will do a great deal when it is in a very dark place." D. L. Moody

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim.....
    Though I currently live in southern california....I'm just truly inspired by who you are. You've grown a lot since HS. Seriously. =)
    Cecilia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home