A New Season of Life
My heart was pounding as I waited for her response…
Wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. You probably will want to know the whole story. The summer of 2003 I decided to go on the Orient Express Project (a summer missions trip to East Asia). Historically, this project has had a 2 to 1 girl to guy ratio. Of course my goal in going on this trip was to serve and experience God. I saw the percentages as just a bonus. Ironically, this was the only year the ratio was flipped – 9 guys and 5 girls.
During the first day of our orientation, I caught sight of this cute Chinese girl… I tried not to stare. As we were divided into our teams, I noticed that her and I were placed on the same university campus AND the same church. Looking back now, that was God’s providence. Over the next six weeks I discovered her to be a joyful and God-centered individual. I remember thinking to myself, “This girl has a lot of qualities I would want my future wife to have.”
Nothing happened then – she lived in Toronto, and I was in Vancouver. And honestly, I was considering another girl back in Vancouver, which didn’t work out. Anyways, over the next three years, this girl from Toronto and I kept in touch on and off. Whenever I heard from her, I could see that she was pursuing God with all of her heart.
As I traveled in Asia earlier this year, the Lord provided a clear direction for my life. As I finished my travels, I knew the next season of life involved pursuing marriage. But in my “plans”, I had given myself the rest of this year to settle down. 2007 would be the year that I would start actively pursuing a girl.
God obviously thought my plans were too slow, so He sped them up. Anyways, to shorten the story, the girl and I talked about where our relationship was going and prayed about it together and individually. As I persistently and seriously asked the Lord about this decision, He gave me a clear answer. Knowing that I wanted to ask the girl (who was patiently waiting for me) to move forward into courtship with me, I talked to her father first, who gave us his permission and blessing.
The next evening I called her over Skype. I emailed her a video of a song I had sung for her. As she started watching it, my heart started pounding as I waited for a response. Then Skype cut us off. I paused a moment to let my heartbeat subside, then called her again. Then I read out the letter I had written to her (I was far too nervous to be able to say out my thoughts from memory). The letter ended in a question, “Will you join me in the adventure of courtship?”
“Yes” was her answer!
With a sigh of relief, a big smile appeared on my face and my heart dropped back down from my throat (where it was temporarily) to my chest (where it belonged). We talked about the many unknowns of our futures and this next season of life, but rested in God’s unfailing provision and faithfulness.
I had read an interesting article on relationships a few months ago. “You should marry the godliest, most fruitful, most spiritually beautiful woman you can convince to have you.” Olive is this woman. Our courtship will determine whether we are to be married.
(click here for Olive's version of the story)
“For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.”
~Psalm 57:10~

12 Comments:
At 7:33 AM,
Anonymous said…
What!! How could you ulet your own sister discover such worldchanging news through blog of all things?? j/k :) I am honoured to have been involved in the process and sorry if I teased too much (well, not really). Tim and Olive, I just want to echo dad and mom - exciting - truuuly exciting. :)
At 8:18 AM,
Anonymous said…
Doh!
I just typed up this huge blog comment and then blogger decided to erase it. Boo! Anyhow... as i expressed on the phone with you earlier on today I have one thing to say "WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!" and "WHHHHHHHAT!" on and one more thing "HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!"
So I don't know what's more satisfying knowing I was right or knowing that the two of you are would be so good together. I guess they're both pretty satisfying. ;)
So Tim, I tried to call Olive and do the whole "WHAT" thing with her but she was on the phone with mike so I'll have to call her back some other time.
Till then... tell her I said "YIPPIE!"
lynn
At 3:22 PM,
ols said…
hm. sounds like a pretty nerve wracking experience to me! dunno how you got through it... ;)
i thank God for answering my prayers in giving you the courage to ask. :)
yeah, i felt bad when lynnie called and i had to tell her to call later. lynnie, call again! :D
tif, thanks for egging your brother on. i look forward to getting to know you better too! :)
At 6:37 PM,
Jenny Tang said…
hooray!!! uncle tim...I am so excited for you and Olive :0)!!!! Finally, I don't have to tease you of looking for "Hermaine"!!!!
At 9:09 PM,
Anonymous said…
Tim, I'm happy for you! (Pats you on the back) Way to rely on, and trust in God's timing. Sometimes the best reward is knowing you followed God's plans. Although in this case, there are plenty of other rewards ;) Congratulations to you too Olive! You've hooked up with quite the guy.
At 5:49 PM,
Anonymous said…
haha - it's about time Tim! I concur - this is worldchanging news!
awesome job :) I am sure that God will lead and bless the two of you greatly.
btw, let me know if you've fixed the scooter.
mandy
At 9:09 PM,
carny said…
TIM! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet her (and to see you again!!) in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At 4:00 AM,
Anna said…
Hey Tim, you don't know me but I'm a friend of Olive's. She is definitely a precious jewel. good for u :)
At 4:24 AM,
SarHa said…
Again, wow. I am stoked for you both. Olive and Tim...two of the most amazing and truly God-centered people in the world. Now you can be the Dream Team. Your hypothetical children would be superhero quality. Many congrats and blessings as you pursue eachother and God:) Luv ya both.
At 12:26 PM,
Anonymous said…
Wow Tim, that period of time you took off work must have been very significant for you in many ways! I'm always impressed by how much you trust God and also by how intimate your relationship with God is.
---Isaac Tai
At 1:04 PM,
Anonymous said…
haha, sarah iiis funny, goh :)
At 8:03 PM,
lynnie said…
you know tim...I think this new season of life is taking too long.
When do I get my update?
Lynn
P.s. say hi to olive for me.
Post a Comment
<< Home