in search for life

how did God create me to live? that's what i'm searching for... hopefully we can help each other out, in our search for purpose, for fulfillment, for freedom, for true life.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Delight

de-light [di-lahyt] - noun - a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment or satisfaction; joy; rapture

There are a lot of things that I enjoy, that I delight in. Spending time with treasured friends. A sunny summer day spent on the beach. Snowboarding. Watching a good movie. Getting a child to laugh. Reading an inspiring book. Making a positive difference in someone’s life. Getting a big hug. Laughing at a funny joke. Eating ribs. Listening to good music. These things give me much joy and enrich my life.

This morning I was thinking about how God delights in us as His children. And also how we find delight in God. I decided to do a word search on “delight” in the Bible. This is what I discovered…

God delights in you – “He will take great DELIGHT in you, he will quiet you with his love, he
will rejoice over you with singing” (Zephaniah 3:17)
God delights in our well-being – “The Lord be exalted, who DELIGHTS in the well-being of his
servant” (Psalm 35:27)
God delights when we tell the truth – “The Lord detests lying lips, but He DELIGHTS in men who
are truthful” (Psalm 12:22)
God delights in saving us – “He rescued me because he DELIGHTED in me” (Psalm 18:19)
God delights in our obedience – “Does the Lord DELIGHT in burnt offerings and sacrifices as
much as in obeying the voice of the Lord?” (1 Samuel 15:22)

It is hard to comprehend how I can give God pleasure. This is my ability and choice to give God delight, to make Him happy, to give Him joy. I can make a difference in God’s life! What an honour that is. At the same time I can break God’s heart with my actions. It's easy to forget how I can impact God's life.

We delight in God’s presence – “I was filled with DELIGHT day after day, rejoicing always in his
presence” (Proverbs 8:20)
We delight in God’s works – “Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who DELIGHT in them” (Psalm 111:2)
We delight in God’s words – “His DELIGHT is in the law of the Lord” (Psalm 1:2)
We delight in God’s rescue – “My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I DELIGHT in your
deliverance” (1 Samuel 2:1)
We delight in honouring God – “O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant
and to the prayer of your servants who DELIGHT in revering your name” (Nehimiah 1:11)

I think of all the things that I take delight in – and all those things are great. But the amazing promise of God is that He is better than life. Whatever joy and pleasure I can from this world is chump change compared to the delight I receive from God. The joy He gives far outweighs the joy the entire world can offer. Isn’t that absolutely mind-boggling? What great news! If only everyone in the world could know this truth.

This is the beauty of a relationship with God.
We’re better together.

“Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart”
~Psalm 37:4~

3 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    delight: when my dai goh makes me ribs. Mmm.. ribs.
    but you're right, off the scale better: God.
    MMMMM... GOD. And to know He delights in us even despite our inconsistent return of it - absolutely mind boggling, but wonderfully so.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger ols said…

    kind of an offshoot here... but i never thought of God having a life. God is life. but our lives making a difference in God's life? yeah, i suppose so!

    what a delightful mystery God is to us! and that He invites us to delve into His depths. :)

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This reminds me of an episode of House. One character starts describing how God already knows we are thankful, he doesn't NEED us to tell Him. The reason we thank Him is because we are thankful, and because we appreciate what we've been given. It's not because we NEED to thank Him, it's because we appreciate Him and really want to thank him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home