A family I love
Well, a family I definitely love is my own. But let me tell you about another family I love.
After four months in Asia, two weeks in Toronto, I went to Calgary to finish off my traveling this year. People ask me what I was doing in Calgary. I spent almost two weeks there and I didn’t really do that much. I was at the Calgary Stampede (the city’s pride and joy), walked around Kensington, ate ice-cream… but some days I’ll just hang out.
I stayed with a family that I truly love. Rod and Joline Olson were my “dorm parents” while I was at UBC. They have two cute daughters. Anya is seven. Siri is five and a half (she always adds the half when telling people her age). There is something about their family that draws me to them, over and over again. And I guess I went to Calgary to live with the Olson family, trying to figure out what exactly was so different about them.
Rod is a great person to discuss life with. Let’s see, what did we talk about? Whether or not following Jesus is a selfish decision. Ideals and the traditional roles of marriage. Globalization and the big, bad corporations that aren’t always bad. Raising kids and discipline. There’s always good substance in what he says, like he’s taken time to think and ponder these ideas.
Joline just finished her first year of teaching grade five kids, and she loves it. I love watching her interact with Anya and Siri. She has a keen understanding of who her girls are, their personalities, and how to love them.
When Anya first said my name back at UBC, she would call me “Dim”. It’s not the most flattering nickname but I forgive her because she was barely two years old at the time. Anya is a competitor. I set up a course for her to race through in the playground. She always will try to beat her previous time. Anya also helps me finish my Sudoku puzzles. I love how she will laugh at all the silly ideas I share with her, like I’m the funniest guy in the world.
Siri started calling me “Timmy” the second day I stayed at their place. Usually I dislike being called that – it sounds too childish. But there’s something endearing about how Siri says it. She is probably one of three people that I will allow to call me by that name. I love it when she comes and leans up beside me to watch me figure out a Sudoku puzzle, or when she whispers in my ear asking me if I want to leave the dinner table to finish watching David & Goliath with her. And I love how she is absolutely amazed at my card tricks.
And for ten days, I have shared life with this family. We wake up and have breakfast. Then maybe I’ll read, or go to the park with the girls, or chat with Rod or Joline, or watch a video with the girls. We’ll have lunch. And maybe I’ll take a nap. Or have a block fight with the girls, or build a fort. Or we’d go shop at Ikea or Safeway. We went to the Calgary zoo one day, and to the Science Museum another time (which is just one big playground for the kids). I meet the friends or family that comes by to visit.
After the girls wash up for bed, the family spends time together. I joined them one evening during the Olson family bedtime routine. First one of the parents will read the girls a story. Then every person will answer two questions. The first is “what part of your day was the most life-giving?” The second, “what part of your day was the most life-draining?” As Rod explains the routine to me afterwards, he quotes Saint Ireneaus: “The glory of God is man fully alive”. These questions are part of training the girls to be sensitive to life, to the things or events or people that make them come alive. Joline explained that she especially loved the second question because it allows the girls to see their parents’ weak & imperfect moments. Then the parents/girls pair up for a prayer time. Anya and Siri decide who to pray for every evening (Rod says this is the start to the girls learning to discern & hear from the Holy Spirit). I found this absolutely beautiful, and so meaningful.
I love how they treat me as a part of the family. I love how Rod & Joline will voice their appreciation when I wash the dishes or cook. And I love how much fun they have together. One time Siri dropped her piece of pizza on the floor. But no one got upset or flipped out. She wasn’t scolded or yelled at for being clumsy. Everyone laughed. What a relief! And one time Rod was taking a sip of water in the van, and Joline jammed on the brakes so the water spilled all over Rod. What fun! Spending time with them makes me want to have a family of my own even more than I already do.
The Olson family is a family that loves Jesus and follows Him. They try to apply their experience of Jesus into everyday life, into their actions and words and thoughts. Yet they manage to do it in a down-to-earth, real, authentic, non-judgmental, and non-threatening way (in a recent Maclean’s poll, 31% of Canadians indicated that they were intimidated by born-again Christians. 24% were intimidated by Muslims). And they manage to love the people they encounter. They don’t seem to be in a rush to get anywhere, just enjoying the here and now, the present moment that Jesus gave them. Living with them was beautiful and refreshing and inspiring for me.
When I read Psalm 16:3, I am reminded of how I love being with this family.
"As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight." (NIV)
"And these God-chosen lives all around - what splendid friends they make!" (the Message)
"The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them!" (NLT)
~Psalm 16:3~

3 Comments:
At 9:38 PM,
song of joy said…
what a beautiful entry, tim. it inspires me too! thanks for taking time to share it. :)
At 4:28 PM,
Anonymous said…
beautiful :)
i can't wait to hear more, g-ster!
reminds me i should be more life-giving to my wild kindergarteners.
At 5:38 PM,
ols said…
isn't it interesting how something stirs so deeply in our hearts when we encounter people who really live as friends of God? that's Christ shining through.
praying that we'd be people like that, too. :>
Post a Comment
<< Home